This blog is intended as an important tool in our ongoing efforts to revitalize Virginia Heritage. Through it, we hope to keep member institutions and other interested parties up-to-date on the work being done to make Virginia Heritage a vibrant, forward-thinking consortium. We also envision it as a place for our members and others in Virginia’s archival community to highlight items from their unique collections, or promote upcoming events.
We invite you to submit posts for inclusion on the blog at any time. Submissions are subject to editing by the Virginia Heritage Outreach Team to align with the style and format of the blog. Here are a few guidelines to keep in mind:
- Updates on the work of Virginia Heritage
- News of lectures, exhibits, trainings, and other Virginia archive-related events
- Feature stories on items in your collections (this is a pretty broad category, and provides an open opportunity to publicize a collection you think is worth highlighting). *Note: We primarily seek original material, but are also open to cross-posting relevant articles from member institutions’ blogs.
- We also occasionally send out requests, via the Virginia Heritage listserv (join “VIVASC-L” here), for posts pertaining to specific themes
- Keep posts at a “quick read” length, generally a maximum of 500 to 750 words
- Aim for a fairly informal, conversational tone (think blog post, not scholarly article)
- Include a title
- Include full caption/citation information for images used
- If discussing a collection, state whether it is open for research, and link to contact info
- Link to relevant Virginia Heritage finding aids when applicable
The Virginia Heritage Outreach Team is responsible for compiling, editing, and posting content submitted for the VH blog. Please contact us at VaHeritageOutreach@gmail.com if you are interested in contributing an article!